De Rustplek (The Resting Place) helps the local church to assist people who find themselves in crisis situations by offering temporary shelter in private homes in the community.
A local church in Amersfoort, Netherlands identified a need in their community for people in crisis to find shelter. A number of host families volunteered to offer a room in their homes for a couple of weeks or months, giving social professionals in the community time to work with those in crisis to find a solution. This is a way for preventing escalating problems in families and to help individuals not to slip into homelessness.
To replicate this project your church will need
- Individuals and families in crisis
- A lead volunteer who is a gifted facilitator
- A system for recruiting host families
- Host families who are willing to offer a room in their home for temporary shelter
- Social counselling professionals in the community willing to volunteer their services
- Pastoral support for the lead volunteers and the people in crisis
Steps to run this project:
- Recruit a lead volunteer
- Undertake Resting Place training.
- Secure the online platform for recruiting host volunteers
- Recruit professionals who can assist through counselling and practical care
- Recruit those in need through relationships and referrals.
- Ongoing friendship and pastoral support for those in crisis;
To find out more visit www.derustplek.nl